Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Student Perception Data

"Success seems feasible, press for effort, perseverence, and rigor."

about students:
encouragement, support, interesting, relevant, connected, integrated

ideas:
press, lessons, students with students, about students
are elicited and respected

culture: 
behavior

precis:
Why am I here?  The jumble.  The piece, thesis.  I wonder about the fact that the info. was easy to digest.  These things too.  The mandatory experiment to explain the same thing over and over using the same words.
Who knows these anymore? What are these for and what is supposed to happen here?

I remember the other morning as a student, liking and not knowing what to expect and where, when, and why.  This was Ed Dorn's teaching style and way.  I remember caring too much about him and his classes--trying to decide exactly what I was learning--what was it?  I did not especially know.  Another rigamorole, a challenge in that is the best and other day dream. 

Back in February it was winter and it was the same thing that the done deal inside takes on everything.

4 comments:

  1. Every one of the many, many times I had a letter from Ed written in a white rage over what he called the "forsaking of the opportunity to learn" on the part of his students, the nagging "what if" thought always occurred to me -- what if Ed is simply not aware that there are students who are getting a lot out of his classes -- maybe even more than he is putting into them! -- and just not showing it?

    After all, a public spectacle or display is not a necessary concomitant of learning, is that not correct, Teacher?

    (The term "living truth" hovers above the smoking ruins of the brain damage site.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was very much the case in the classes I took from Ed. He was so charismatic and yes, a white dwarf/red giant that if a student was spooked into expressing anything during class he stored it away for later and spoke at length on the topic the next class.

      Delete
  2. Your posts are so brilliant and honest and funny. I think they could be a book . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am trying/not trying to get myself fired.

      Delete