Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Google Schurz

Google Earth

Going on Google Earth to see the Rez again.  I could not find our house but something that looked like an abandoned parking lot—the state of Nevada?  But then I travelled with the mouse over the hills toward Yerington, toward where Wovoka was born and the feeling I got was a lot like the feeling I had wanted way back then. 
Googled Oregon, up the Umpqua, looking for Toketee Lake.  I can only picture it now, how it was last summer, refreshing when I swam there.  Moon at the tent.
Mr. Schuh, Carol Alpert. Thank you.  My teachers there.  Tom Connolly, Mrs. Worell, Jackie (Lamb), sweet teachers in Missoula.  Mr. Connolly let me and Shawna come in late after lunch, asked us which was more important:  experience or imagination?  I thought experience
back then.

2 comments:

  1. Susan,

    Mr Connolly's question could well hang on the air a lifetime without getting an answer -- or getting both answers, over and over, swinging back and forth.

    Once as a small child in a city park I ran under a swing, at the wrong time, just to see how it would feel.

    Unconscious is not a feeling.

    Some things become more the same the more they change.

    I've always resisted the urge, well there was never the urge, never the temptation, always the fear, always the No! feeling -- whenever the idea of peeping in upon anything anywhere, at any time, on Google Earth, occurred.

    It has not occurred often.

    Bad enough to have almost but not quite forgotten all those abandoned towns, last thing one would ever want to do is see them Occupied.

    (Thinking of the Occupied Settlements.)

    However certainly the disposition on this point could be different, were one someone else.

    But then were one to have been someone else, there would have been all that someone else's problems to deal with, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And then when I heard the creep who runs Oracle had bought the Hawaiian Islands, I thought -- poor Susan, she's got it bad enough already.

    Of course I'd got it wrong as usual, he'd only bought one small one, not the whole lot.

    Still. Just saying.

    I don't think he's bought Oregon yet.

    But not because he couldn't afford it!!

    ReplyDelete