Saturday, August 18, 2012

Teachable Moment

One occurred when she asked what to put down for "city" on the forms students were filling out so they could get college infomation sent to them, whether it was Hawaii.  Well, Hawaii is the state so write that down, I said. We live in the state of Hawaii.  On Statehood Day, we have a holiday.  No school.  We then spoke of native people on the mainland and songs featuring a loom,  deer.  Like fruit of the loom, someone said.  Like dear, another wrote in her journal. 

I was being evaluated again and the form said students were off-task and not engaged.  They were not informed of the learning target or lesson's goal for the day.  If I'm called on the carpet I'll say that I was busy trying to focus on the definition of a city, the definition of a state.  After all, in three years they will graduate.  They will need to know this then. It is not on the Pacing Guide but I took a risk to speak about it. 

1 comment:

  1. Fruit of the loom -- indigenous underwear?

    Oh, deer.

    (Spotted a large female California Mule Deer in the dark street a few hours ago. She was watching me watching her. Of course they always know you're there before you know they're there. They are always evaluating, even when one doesn't know one is being evaluated... and failing yet again.)

    ReplyDelete